Saturday, February 21, 2009

Releasing Our Attachment to Outcome


The first year or two I was in business was enlightening, but also frustrating and, at times, more than a little disappointing. After investing emotionally in the naive idea that I could convert nearly all my clients to fit, lean, wellness-minded faithful, I was often slapped with a cold reality:


My clients were only as successful as their level of commitment to our stated objective, the degree to which they embraced the principles I taught them and their willingness to comply with the actions I recommended that embodied those principles. And then I finally realized that it wasn't just naive of me to expect that of them, it was downright arrogant!


Who was I to expect that in one to three hours a week I could completely reprogram their basic philosophy and retool many of their daily habits if they weren't already interested in a dramatic lifestyle change? Foolish mortal!


As time has passed, I have learned that those who benefit the most from what I try to offer are those who are truly ready and committed at a deep level to undergoing a fundamental change. Athletes are usually tremendously open and effective students, but many former couch potatoes who are just darned good and ready for a dramatic improvement in their wellness and body condition often astound me as well with their determination and corresponding success (see the home page of my training website for a married couple who are poster children for these invaluable qualities: http://www.trivalleytrainer.com/ )


I currently have two clients who, I know, if they could just see their future possibilities as clearly as I do (both with and without a full commitment to fitness and healthful eating), the stark contrast between their current respective situations and their potential would create a defining moment of permanent transition. And their resulting successes would not only improve their chances to be in their loved ones' lives for decades to come, but they would also serve as a more inspiring figures than I could ever hope to represent.


But my job is not to fantasize, but to keep the faith. Not to preach, but to persist. Not to take their level of participation personally, but to give everything I have to the process and know that's enough.


I started this blog hoping to help many more people than I can have personal contact with on a daily basis, and many of you have written to me to let me know I have. Many of my current and past clients have done the same. I am deeply grateful for that.


So, perhaps we should all know that what we bring to a situation is much more important than what comes of it, and leave the rest in God's hands, where it belongs.

No comments: