Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Do It For Yourself


It's not indulgent to take action on your own behalf. If you make a decision to act in your own best interest, whether it's for your physical, emotional or spiritual well-being, it's the right thing to do.


We can easily be distracted or confused by our urges to protect others or avoid difficult decisions that can rob us, them, or both of important growth opportunities. When I politely pass up cake or champagne at celebrations, I'm not trying to insult the host or make someone who partakes feel guilty. I just prefer to avoid the effects of alcohol and my body craves nutrients along with the calories.


I was meditating daily during a rough period in my marriage, and though my wife was struggling to understand it and not feel pushed away, I knew it was important to connect with a greater sense of peace and remind myself I had a higher purpose available to me.


Think about actions you have considered that you know, deep in your heart would be good for you. Are you waiting because you feel like someone else's feelings or needs are more important than yours?


Author Marianne Williamson writes that our greatest fear is not that we're powerless; it's that we are powerful beyond measure.


If you can allow for that possibility, you'll find that treating yourself well may be the best gift you can give to the ones you love most.

No comments: