Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Food Diary, Day 1


For the next seven days, I'll be posting what I eat and let you know what my activity level is like. Generally, I try to observe these eating rules:


1. Consume a nutrient-dense selection of food, emphasizing veggies and lean proteins but including whole grains, fruits and a small amount of mostly heart-healthy fats.


2. Spread my calories and protein evenly over the day with small, frequent meals.


3. Minimize empty calories.


4. Eat grains earlier in the day.


5. Taper calories in the evening.


6. Drink water when I'm thirsty (between, not during meals and snacks).


My calorie requirements, because of my activity level ( workout frequency and intensity) are around 2,500 - 3,000, so this would be too much food for most people. But there are some good examples for healthful choices. You can always scale back the volume to suit your particular needs. Here's how Sunday, April 20 went (total amounts are usually 1-2 fist sized portions):


8:00am - V8 juice, oatmeal (made with nonfat milk, not water) with raisins, mixed nuts
10:00am - Greek yogurt w/honey and trail mix
11:30am - Low fat Cheeze-Its (I know!)
12:30pm - Low fat cottage cheese w/fresh mixed berries
2:00pm - Non fat latte and a tofu oat cake
4:00pm - herb tea
5:30pm - Pan-fried tuna steak encrusted with crushed wasabi peanuts and salad
7:30pm - Herb tea


No workout out today but I walked a couple of miles in the morning.

No comments: